Saturday, April 23, 2011

Cycle Four Week Three/Four Thursday 21 April 2011

when I was traveling back east they told me that one of the side effect could be funky finger and toe nails---but they never really told me what it was to look for. well the nail on my right ring finger got funky looking I told Amber my niece that it sort of looked like a fungal infection but didn't really act like that. Also at that point my left great toe started looking about the same as my ring finger did----the ring finger nail grew out and nothing more came of it. I've been watching the toe and it's been looking more and more like a fungal infection. I noticed that it was also feeling a little "lose" like it was getting ready to fall off, and catching on stuff. This week Keep-Her has been sniffing and licking at it and snorting a lot----so I said OK OK I'll go see a DR about it.
well Thursday was doctor day!!!! :-(

owie----my left great toe HURTS big time---the nail was getting ready for fall of from fungal infection that I got in it somehow or another---so the DR helped it along in its quest to leave (I'd include a picture but don't want to gross you all out--)----NOW it hurts like nobody's business.The DR refilled my prescription for Tylenol # 3 and put me on an antibiotic Augmentin (one of the few antibiotics that I can still take) for 14 days. my current pain meds (T #3) not touching the pain. pain level is at least a #10, it's so bad that I've got involuntary knee jerk pain, I couldn't even nap the pain was so bad.---I called the DR and requested something stronger......The Dr herself called me back and ordered something stronger---she asked me if Amber could go and pick it up ---- nice DR first time I've seen her.... I like her, she even remembered who I was and that Amber my niece was living with me. So on Amber's way back from picking up her Dad she stopped at the clinic and picked up some Percocet . Hope that will take care of it. She said that there is an anti fungal medication that would help to clear it up but since I'm on chemo I can't take it as that drug as it is also VERY hard on the liver.
--OH YEAH Percocet seems to be working the toe isn't swearing---the knee jerks have stopped..sleep sweet sleep. I got to sleep all night long as long as nothing touched the toe (ie blankets, sheets---the other foot)
That night, and several times a day since, Keep-Her comes over and checks out BOTH feet after she checked the left foot she backed off licked her lips and nodded her head. you think she knows that it's being worked on??? also since they put silver nitrate on it to cauterize it to try and stop the bleeding, I think it most likely smells funny to her.

the hands and feet are both still reacting to the Chemo, but in a very controlled manner----heaven help me if I forget to put the cream (vitamin E with white cotton gloves and footsie) on even ONE night. I pay for it for DAYS if I do, so I do my best not to forget to put it on no matter HOW tired I feel.
~~Jann
Jann the Overcomer The beginning

2 comments:

WinnyNinny PooPoo said...

Hoping this is the only bad part of the chemo, with the good part being TOTAL erradication of the cancer. Keep Her will let you know if another Toenail goes bad. Glad you got more pain meds - I can't imagine having a toenail taken off - owwwwwww!!!

Anonymous said...

Ouch! We are so sorry you are going through this. Hopefully this is just a pothole in your road to healing.