Sunday, June 1, 2008

How this all got started.My Story by Jann

16.5 years ago I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer in my left breast. At that time *in the dark ages before home computers* Mack and I went to the library, the American Cancer Society, and the Hospital resource centers (more than one) to research the disease, the prognosis, and the available treatments to help me decide on a course of action.

My surgeon was not very supportive of *my/our * decision. I/we opted at that time to have just a lumpectomy, followed by radiation and then hormone therapy as there was no lymph node involvement, as it was “only” a stage I cancer. I have been very faithful about doing my self exams and in getting my annual mammogram's, which have always been clear.

Fast forward 16.5 years, to Valentines Day of this year 2008, when I had a sudden painful swelling under my right arm. I also felt a lump at that time in my right breast. Since it was time for my Annual mammogram I went ahead and scheduled it. Within a day I got a call that I needed to schedule an Ultra Sound of the right breast as they didn't like the looks of it on the mammogram. Next, I had an Ultra sound biopsy which came back positive for Cancer.

I was sent to see a surgeon who after examining me suggest that I needed to talk to an oncologist as (he was concerned about being able to get clean margins during surgery because to the size of the tumor) (this one is of a size that it's questionable if they could get "clear margins" in surgery). He was also fairly certain from his exam that the lymph nodes are involved this time.

I went to see the oncologist. We discussed a number of options including that perhaps we could do chemotherapy first to shrink the tumor so that the surgeon could get clear margins, and then do chemotherapy again, radiation and hormone treatment. However to be more sure of what we are dealing with he ordered a bunch of test to be run.

So far I've had a full body Bone scan, a Chest, abdomen and pelvis CT scan, a scan of my heart and an MRI of my head. The MUGA (heart scan) came back wonderful. The MRI results are NOT in yet. The other two scans were not good. The cancer has spread to my left iliac crest (top of my hip), my spine at about T-5, a possible spot on my right lung and something (not sure what) on my liver. All these sightings make it Stage IV Cancer this time. Since it is in the bone Radiation is out.

At this time my options are:
1) Surgery, chemotherapy hormone therapy
2) Chemotherapy, surgery, chemotherapy, hormone therapy
3) Study (just chemotherapy) followed by hormone therapy
4) The one no one wants to think about, DO NOTHING

A lot has changed in the last 16.5 years; many medical advancements have been made. We now have home computers with fairly easy internet access to a whole lot more information than we had from manual sources the first time. I’m armed with more information and many more questions.

Tomorrow, Monday 02 June 2008, I am meeting with the research nurse to discuss the Study Program and see if I am eligible.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey,

This site is great and I really appreciate it! I can follow along without being intrusive by constantly asking Jann, herself, or a family member about Jann.

Our prayers are with you, Jann! We love you and are pulling for you!

Love and prayers:
Diana & Harry Justice
Kathy Smith (Diana's mom-93)
David & Correy Copeland
Nathan & Faye Copeland

Jann the Overcomer! said...

Hey Grandma,
What you wrote helped me i like reading about these type of things cause hereing about them make me feel vary vary sad you know. so yeah i love you lot's

Love Sarah McKay.......<3

Anonymous said...

Big hugs, Jann. The shoulders are available.
Nancy

Anonymous said...

Always in my heart, mind and prayers. I love you girl. L.

Anonymous said...

Cousin Jann,
We love you and we send our thoughts and prayers. You are strong and not alone on your journey. Love and lots of hugs, cousin Gayle, Jamie, Alex and Lauren Curtis

Anonymous said...

Hi Lil Sis -- Keep up your strength with those Mall Walks! I'm here for you as always

Sys

Anonymous said...

Jann, joycee here...


the TP list list needs you badly . they are not triming anymore...

we love and and miss you ,,god knows tht you are a keeper...

The hoho drumer and spirit...

Anonymous said...

hi jann...my name is barbi...my cousin gayle brought your storey to my attention...i lost my mother (nancy)to cancer 14 years ago...my sister also lost one of her breasts to cancer...one of my nefews had five hours of surgery to remove a large tumor....cancer can be beaten...and with the courage of people like yourself a lot of lives can and will be saved by raised awareness and understanding...i was told i only had two years to live....10 years ago...i love god...i drink a lot of yerba matte tea....god bless you jann....and thank you for sharing and caring...love barbi